2021 Camp Information
Dates: July 19–31, 2021
Due to COVID-19 concerns, we have decided to pivot to a fully virtual camp in 2021. Exact programming and timing is TBD, but it will fall within July 19-30.
About the Institute
Are you interested in learning about science, engineering, and transportation in an interactive, hands-on environment? Do you want to explore careers and education opportunities related to transportation? Then the National Summer Transportation Institute may be for you!
This free two-week summer day camp at the University of Minnesota will introduce you to the many aspects of the transportation field. You’ll go on field trips around the Twin Cities, participate in hands-on lab activities, and learn from experts about what it’s like to work in transportation.
At this camp, you will:
- Learn how different parts of the transportation system work together to keep you (and the things you buy) moving in cars, trucks, planes, and boats in Minnesota and beyond
- Take a spin in a driving simulator and learn how it’s used to make our roads safer
- Design and build a model bridge
- Go behind the scenes on exciting field trips around the Twin Cities to places like an airport, transit facility, and maintenance facility
- Tour the University of Minnesota campus and get a feel for college life
The camp is open to students that meet the following criteria:
- Are entering grades 7–9 (as of 2021-2022 school year)
- Have a cumulative GPA of at least 2.0 on a 4.0 scale
- Have completed or be qualified to enroll in pre-algebra
- Have an interest in engineering, science, transportation, or technology-related careers
How to Apply
The application deadline for the 2021 camp has passed.
Information about our selection process is available on our admission decisions page.
"I really enjoyed using the driving simulators [at the UPS Road Code facility]. It was a hands-on experience that truly taught me the dangers of texting while driving and how much harder it really is."
"My favorite part of the program were the field trips because they heped me learn facts/cool things in the transportation industry."
"I enjoyed touring the [U of M] campus and seeing what life is like for students on campus."
"Getting to see the control room where [Metro Transit] views the light-rail system was amazing to me."
"I learned a lot and had lots of fun during the camp. It was like a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity."
"One of the best camps we have ever experienced! There was always a plan for college and this increased enthusiasm, preparedness, and maturity."
"[This program] has opened up my daughter's horizon for future career choices and major focus areas after high school."
"We absolutely loved having our son participate in this camp. It was very well organized, and we were impressed by how much he learned from visiting all of the transportation places."
“What a wonderful experience this camp was for my son. He was inspired...He learned about all kinds of traffic laws and data...and I now have a new back-seat driver.”