This summer internship program, offered in partnership by CTS and Ramsey County, gives undergraduate and graduate students from a variety of degree programs the opportunity to gain experience in a local government setting.
As part of the program, students get the opportunity to bring their unique perspectives, experiences, and ideas to departments within the county's Economic Growth and Community Investment (EGCI) service team, which includes Community and Economic Development, Public Works, and Parks and Recreation. The internship program offers students three months of experience during the summer, with the potential to extend through the end of the 2023-2024 academic year.
Ramsey County partners with CTS to deliver this internship program. Interns will have opportunities to connect with transportation-related programs at the University of Minnesota, among other experiences, as a part of the summer internship.
Student interns perform designated duties as assigned in accordance with the student’s educational program and the needs of the department to which the student is assigned.
Minimum qualifications for the internship program include:
- Enrollment at the undergraduate or graduate level at any college or university in one of the following degree programs or a related degree program: urban planning, urban studies, civil engineering, geography, public policy, public administration or landscape architecture.
- At least two years of academic coursework.
- Interest in local government and public service.
Additional preferred qualifications:
- Interest in developing and implementing programs and policies that seek to eliminate racial, cultural, and economic disparities within the community.
- Previous volunteer or work experience in government, nonprofits, or similar fields.
- Proven communication and writing skills.
Candidates are required to meet minimum qualifications to be considered for the internship, but this does not guarantee acceptance into the program. Candidates will be assessed based on a combination of the listed qualifications as well as other relevant factors.
How to Apply
Information about 2024 opportunities will be posted here as it becomes available.
Please contact Peiyu Phua, Peiyu.Phua@co.ramsey.mn.us, with questions or for more information.