About the Research
The Minnesota Department of Transportation sponsored the ABC Ramps Transportation Options Plan, an 18-month project to plan the future of the ABC Ramps in downtown Minneapolis. Project components were split among University of Minnesota researchers and several transportation consulting firms.
The parking ramps, completed in 1992, are the ending point for I-394 and the high occupancy vehicle lanes, which connects Minneapolis to its western suburbs. The ramps were designed to reduce single occupant vehicles and ease congestion by encouraging carpooling and transit use but are now increasingly used by solo drivers and surrounded by congested streets. Ramp management needs to prepare for a future with changes in travel behavior, ride hailing, shared mobility, technological shifts, vehicle electrification, and, eventually, automated vehicles. What directions should policymakers take in light of these changes? The research team provided analysis and recommendations.
Minnesota Department of Transportation
- The ABC Parking Ramps in Minneapolis: A Unique Past. A Visionary Future. (Summary report PDF)
- ABC Ramps Transportation Options research project
- ABC Ramps website
Task 2: History of ABC Ramps, by Adeel Lari, Frank Douma
- Task 3: Corridor Review - Current and Planned, by Adeel Lari, SRF Consulting Group (as listed in task 13), Frank Douma
- Task 4: Demographics of the ABC Ramps, by Yingling Fan
- Task 5: Travel Demand Management Landscape, by Frank Douma, Jason Cao
- Task 6: Regional Stakeholder Transportation Goals, by Frank Douma, Kevin Karner and Rachel Dame (Graduate Research Assistants)
- Task 8: Policy, Ordinance, Statute and Guidance Review, by Frank Douma
- Task 9: Encouraging Carpooling, Biking, and Transit Use at the ABC Ramps, Jason Cao, Allen Young (GRA to Jason), Frank Douma, Kevin Karner (GRA)
- Task 10: Long Range Transportation Trends, by Frank Douma, Frank Alarcon (GRA)
- Task 11: Stakeholder Engagement Summary Report - includes Appendices A-E
- Task 12: ABC Ramps Outreach and Marketing Plan - includes Appendices A-B
- Task 13: ABC Ramps Transportation Options Implementation Plan
- Research team recommends policy changes for Minneapolis ABC Ramps, CTS Catalyst, Sept. 2018.
- Study: Changes to downtown Minneapolis ramps could help combat congestion, Minneapolis StarTribune, Aug. 8, 2018
- Solar garden to sprout atop downtown Minneapolis parking ramp, Minneapolis StarTribune, Oct. 29, 2018