How Does the Program Work?
The Local Agency Transportation Internship Program (LATIP) gathers summer internship postings from cities, counties, townships and tribal agencies in Minnesota and posts them in one online location for students to view and apply.
LATIP also markets this collection of internship postings to university students on all five campuses of the University of Minnesota; Minnesota State University, Mankato; and community and technical colleges across the state. Marketing is targeted to students in transportation-related areas of study through the program's connection to student groups, faculty, and career services staff.
Agencies are responsible for interviewing, hiring, and paying selected candidates.
Why Should You Post a Position with LATIP?
- Your agency will have direct access to qualified university students at locations across Minnesota.
- Internship program support will be provided, including marketing, insight into applicant pool trends, suggested timelines, and additional opportunities for students.
- There's no cost to submit your posting or to participate in the program. However, your agency is responsible for interviewing, hiring, and paying your selected candidate(s).
What Types of Positions Does LATIP Accept?
The program seeks to connect local employers with students pursuing careers in transportation. Postings are accepted only from cities, counties, townships, and tribal agencies in Minnesota. In-person and remote-work internship positions will be accepted.
Your internship position should:
- Directly relate to future career opportunities for students. This includes, but is not limited to, positions in transportation planning, engineering, maintenance, public works, and parks and recreation management.
- Provide on-the-job experience that will enhance future career decisions and relate to students' current fields of study.
- Be geared toward students ages 18 and up that are pursuing post-secondary education.
The deadline for submitting positions for the 2022 program has passed. Information on future years will be posted as it becomes available.