CTS publishes proceedings of conferences, workshops, and other events sponsored or facilitated by the Center. These documents are available for download in Acrobat PDF format.
If you would like to order a proceedings in print, please use our order form.
Access to Destinations Study
- 2007 Access to Destinations Conference Proceedings (1.0 MB PDF)
- 2004 Access to Destinations Conference Proceedings (3.3 MB PDF)
CEO Leadership Forum
September 24-25, 2006, Minneapolis, Minnesota
Proceedings of a conference conducted by CTS in association with AASHTO, FHWA, and TRB, with funding support from NCHRP. View program and briefing papers on the CEO Leadership Forum Web site.
Oberstar Forum on Transportation Policy and Technology
- 2008: "The Next Authorization: Transforming Transportation Policy?" (656 KB PDF)
- 2007: "Our Nation's Transportation Infrastructure: Heading Toward a Crisis?" (566 KB PDF)
- 2006: "Transportation Choices: The Important Role of Walking and Biking" (920 KB PDF)
- 2005: "The Future of Transportation Finance: 'Gas Tax Plus' and Beyond" (476 KB PDF)
- 2004: "Transportation in Rural America: Challenges and Opportunities" (485 KB PDF)
- 2003: "Intermodal Transportation: The Potential and the Challenge" (385 KB PDF)
- 2002: "How Should Transportation Change after September 11?" (575 KB PDF)
Freight and Logistics Symposium
- Eighteenth Annual Symposium (855 KB PDF)
Dec. 4, 2015 - Discussion focused on leveraging Minnesota's strengths to confront future freight and logistics challenges.
- Seventeenth Annual Symposium (479 KB PDF)
Dec. 6, 2013 – Discussion centered on the seamless and uninhibited flow of goods from manufacturers and markets to those who want them—the "gravity" of logistics.
- Sixteenth Annual Symposium (413 KB PDF)
Dec. 7, 2012 –Discussion focused on the effects of new energy sources—such as shale and natural gas—on Upper Midwest transportation networks and goods movement.
- Fifteenth Annual Symposium (261 KB PDF)
Dec. 2, 2011 –Discussion focused on the effects of global economic change on freight and logistics providers.
- Fourteenth annual symposium (404 KB PDF)
Dec. 3, 2010 –Discussion focused on the economics of sustainable practices on the transportation industry.
- Thirteenth annual Symposium (230 KB PDF)
Dec. 4, 2009 –Discussion focused on the economic recession and its recovery, and how it will alter supply chain practices.
- Twelfth annual Symposium (376 KB PDF)
Dec. 5, 2008 –Discussion focused on fluctuating energy costs, economic uncertainties, and sustainable energy practices.
- Eleventh annual Symposium (376 KB PDF)
Nov. 30, 2007 – Discussion focused on national transportation policy, transportation infrastructure, ports, railroads, biofuels and agricultural byproducts, and transportation education.
- Tenth annual Symposium (364 KB PDF)
Dec. 1, 2006 – Discussion focused on innovations in supply chain management and transportation from the environmental perspective, with topics including packaging, technology advancements in alternative fuels and vehicles, as well as future environmental scenarios.
- Ninth annual Symposium (453 KB PDF)
Dec. 2, 2005 – Topics include freight mobility, transportation system capacity, and the economic challenges ahead, as well as how logistics costs affect corporate decision making, and emerging supply-chain and infrastructure approaches to capacity challenges.
- Eighth annual Symposium (272 KB PDF)
Dec. 3, 2004 – Topics include the changing landscape of transportation, public- and private-sector views of the future of trucking, the effects of those challenges on other transportation modes, and the implications of technology on the future of trucking.
- Seventh annual Symposium (364 KB PDF)
Dec. 5, 2003 – Topics include resolving conflicts between freight-oriented industries and communities over land use, jobs, and traffic, as well as the latest news on national transportation funding reauthorization efforts.
- Sixth annual Symposium (125 KB PDF)
- Dec. 6, 2002 – Discussion of economic concerns, post-September 11 security measures, congestion, infrastructure innovations, public- and private-sector responsibilities, the development of a regional air-cargo facility, and the projected state budget shortfall.
- Fifth annual Symposium (95 KB PDF)
Dec. 7, 2001 – Topics include security and economic concerns, infrastructure deterioration, growing congestion, and the possible development of an intermodal air cargo facility in or near the Twin Cities.
- Fourth annual Symposium (470 KB PDF)
Sept. 11, 2000 – "Impacts of Logistics on the Upper Midwest Economy." Rising congestion levels, global e-commerce, growing consumer demands, impending regulation.
Conference on Community-Based Transportation
- 2003: Second Conference on Community-Based Transportation: Designing a System for Minnesota (715 KB PDF)
- 2001: Conference on Community-Based Transportation: Improving Access for the Transportation-Disadvantaged (95 KB PDF)
AirTAP Fall Forum
- 2011 AirTAP Fall Forum coverage in Briefings (499 KB PDF)
- 2010 AirTAP Fall Forum coverage in Briefings (460 KB PDF)
- 2009 AirTAP Fall Forum coverage in Briefings (414 KB PDF)
- 2008 AirTAP Fall Forum coverage in Briefings (334 KB PDF)
- 2007 AirTAP Fall Forum coverage in Briefings (416 KB PDF)
The inaugural AirTAP Fall Forum brought together Minnesota aviation personnel from a cross-section of the industry to address challenging issues in airport administration, operations, and maintenance. Participants heard from aviation experts on topics that ranged from attracting business to airports, setting rates and charges, and meeting FAA minimum standards to controlling wildlife, keeping runways safe, and using the AirTAP marketing toolkit. Sponsors of this forum included CTS, AirTAP, the Mn/DOT Office of Aeronautics, and the Federal Aviation Administration.
Minnesota Pavement Conference Session Summaries
This one-day conference provides information to practitioners and others in pavement design, construction, and maintenance. The emphasis of the conference is new materials and methods that can assist decision-makers in providing the most cost-effective strategies for building, repairing, and maintaining Minnesota roads.
- 2011 Session Summaries (780 KB PDF)
- 2010 Session Summaries (824 KB PDF)
- 2009 Session Summaries (1.23 MB PDF)
Personal Rapid Transit Workshop: A Summary Report (659 KB PDF)
August 18, 2010, Minneapolis, Minnesota - The purpose of this workshop was to share responses to the Minnesota Department of Transportation?s request for PRT information and to allow participants to understand PRT benefits and barriers to its implementation. Workshop participants also discussed next steps in exploring the viability of PRT in Minnesota, including principles to guide PRT service implementation, financing options, and organizational and governance approaches. The workshop was a follow-up event to the PRT International Forum held by Mn/DOT on November 17, 2009, in Rochester, Minnesota.
Personal Rapid Transit Informational Forum: A Summary Report (520 KB PDF)
November 17, 2009, Rochester, Minnesota - Due to growing interest in PRT, the Minnesota Department of Transportation (Mn/DOT) brought together PRT companies and policymakers at a November 2009 forum to discuss the potential of PRT in Minnesota and beyond. CTS hosted the workshop for Mn/DOT.
Congestion in the Twin Cities – Who's Paying the Price? (740 KB PDF)
Nov. 28–29, 2000 – Workshop to explore congestion issues and discuss market-based or value-pricing solutions for the region.
Getting There: Building Ideas for a Better, Smarter Transportation System (765 KB PDF)
April 11, 2002 – Summit sponsored by the Minnesota Public Radio Civic Journalism Initiative, the Minnesota Historical Society, and the Center for Transportation Studies and State and Local Policy Program at the Hubert H. Humphrey School of Public Affairs.
Getting There from Here: Views on the Financing and Future of Transportation (6.2 MB PDF)
November 27, 1995 and December 5, 1995 – A Policymaker's Forum on Innovation Transportation Financing and a Luncheon Presentation on the Private Provision of Mobility Services.