Toward Zero Deaths National Strategy on Highway Safety
Zero may seem like an impossible goal—especially when it comes to traffic-related deaths. But a new road map can help states and local communities turn that idea into a powerful movement that can make zero a reality.
The comprehensive suite of tools, dubbed "A Road Map for Implementing the Toward Zero Deaths (TZD) National Strategy on Highway Safety," is now available to state agencies and local communities at no cost on the national TZD website (see access instructions below). Developed by a multidisciplinary team with input from state and local transportation officials and advocates from across the United States, this new guidance highlights what is necessary for a successful TZD program while accounting for unique jurisdictional characteristics.
Road Map to Implementation Webinar Series
To help traffic safety stakeholders understand these tools and gain insight on implementing their own strategy, the TZD National Strategy development team offered the a free Road Map to Implementation Webinar Series. If you missed them, recordings from each webinar are now available.
- January 30, 2019—Resources and Tools for Implementing a Zero-Fatality Goal Program
- February 13, 2019—Vision and Goal Setting
- February 27, 2019—Focused Safety Priorities and Strategies
- March 13, 2019—Supporting Program Structure
- March 27, 2019—Technical Assistance and Training
- April 10, 2019—Key Partner/Stakeholder Engagement and Communication
- April 24, 2019—Leadership and Safety Culture
- May 8, 2019—Implementation and Progress Monitoring
- June 5, 2019—Working with Nontraditional Stakeholders
- June 19, 2019—Engaging with Elected Officials
Road Map to Implementation Workshops
As a part of the implementation roll-out, TZD National Strategy workshops will be offered in conjunction with several national conferences in 2019.
Each workshop will introduce attendees to the Road Map for Implementing the Toward Zero Deaths (TZD) National Strategy on Highway Safety. They will also offer an overview of the suite of tools included in the Road Map, provide firsthand accounts of programs in progress around the country, and facilitate discussion among attendees on successes and challenges in your own community.
- ITE 2019 Annual Meeting and Exhibit, Austin, TX
Sunday, July 21, 2019, 1:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- National Association of Counties Annual Conference and Exposition, Las Vegas, NV
Sunday, July 14, 10:30 - 11:45 a.m.
- National Transportation in Indian County Conference, Big Sky, MT
September 19, 2019 - 1:00-2:30 p.m.
Access to the Road Map Tools
To access the Road Map suite of tools, you'll need to create a free account on the national TZD website. Visit the TZD Toolkit web page to create an account or to log in. Then, you'll be able to access the following tools included in the Road Map suite:
- A Road Map for Implementing the TZD National Strategy on Highway Safety
- How-To Guide: Implementing the TZD Strategic Communication Plan
- TZD Program Development Assessment Tool
- TZD Stakeholder Involvement Assessment Tool
For more information, please contact Chelsea Arbury at email@example.com or 612-626-2862.
This work was sponsored by the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials in cooperation with the Federal Highway Administration, and was conducted in the National Cooperative Highway Research Program, which is administered by the Transportation Research Board of the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine.
Project collaborators include the Center for Transportation Studies at the University of Minnesota, Jacobs, HDR Inc., MBO Engineering, Pam Fischer Consulting, and the Humphrey School of Public Affairs at the University of Minnesota.