This program, offered in partnership by CTS and MnDOT, is designed to provide an opportunity for undergraduate students interested in transportation-related careers to gain real-world skills to complement their academic pursuits.
As part of the program, interns spend 10 weeks at the Minnesota Department of Transportation (MnDOT) gaining hands-on professional experience. Participants work on transportation-focused projects and are provided with mentoring, training, and development opportunities.
In 2017, two positions remain available at the following MnDOT offices.
- Office of Traffic, Safety, and Technology Traffic Safety
- Office of Traffic, Safety, and Technology Pedestrian and Bicycle Safety
- Applicants must be undergraduate students currently pursuing degrees in civil engineering at the University of Minnesota.
- No prior transportation-related work experience is required.
- Applicants must be legally eligible for employment in the United States. Proof of your eligibility to work in the United States will be required.
- Priority will be given to students completing their junior year, but sophomores may also apply.
- Priority will be given to applicants with GPAs of 3.0 or better.
- The program is open to all qualified applicants. Members of diverse groups are encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
To apply, please submit the following materials via e-mail to Shannon Engstrom at email@example.com by May 2, 2017.
- Application form (PDF)
- Transcript (unoffi cial transcripts will be accepted)
- Letter of recommendation (academic)
- Statement of interest (up to two pages outlining your reasons for wanting to participate in the program, future academic and career goals, and relevant skills and experience)
- Data practices form (PDF)
Please note: Letters of recommendation will be accepted after the application deadline as long as all other application materials are submitted by May 2. If you anticipate needing additional time to provide your letter of recommendation, please contact Shannon Engstrom at firstname.lastname@example.org or 612-625-5608.
For more information, please contact email@example.com or 612-625-5608.
—Joshua Tarr, 2016 intern
"My internship has given me the opportunity to study a topic that hasn't really been explored in-depth before, and I’ve been finding things that people weren’t really expecting. And it might change the way that we go about making work zones safer.”
—Caitlin Johnson, 2015 intern
“The best part of my summer internship was all the real-world learning that I was exposed to. Seeing various stages of different [concrete] paving jobs really helped me understand things that are needed to develop durable highways...This experience showed me problems and solutions in practice that I could not get from a classroom.”
—Justice Harvieux, 2014 intern
“Through this internship I was able to further determine what area of civil engineering I wish to focus on. It was one of the best experiences I have had while at the U of M.”
—Brandi Rajala, 2014 intern
“This internship was a great stepping stone for me to be more prepared to face the world as an engineer in the future.”
—Sharon Wong, 2013 intern