Transportation Safety and Traffic Flow Research Council
Topics examined by this council include intelligent transportation systems, traffic detection, traffic control, crash analysis, machine vision, traveler information systems, human factors, and injury prevention.
Activities of the Council include:
- Provide advice during research project activities.
- Identify and advance emerging research needs and opportunities.
- Participate in seminars and other mechanisms to disseminate research results.
- Assist in planning the annual CTS Research Conference.
The Council meets a minimum of three times per year; fall and winter meetings are generally held in conjunction with research seminars.
Council members are appointed by the CTS director on behalf of the CTS Executive Committee, following nomination by the council chair. Approximately one-third of council members are University faculty or staff. Non-University members include a balance of business, government, and other interests.
A membership rotation occurs every three years. Though members may serve more than one consecutive three-year term, an effort is made to rotate approximately one-third of council membership during a rotation year. In addition to members, “friends” of councils also participate in council activities. New members will often be drawn from friends who are active within councils.
How do I become involved?
If you are interested in becoming a friend of one or more of the councils, please contact Kaydee Kirk, CTS program coordinator, at 612-626-5854 or email@example.com, or return the Council interest form (488KB PDF).
- Chair: Nick Thompson — Parsons Brinckerhoff
- Vice-Chair: Steve Misgen — MnDOT
- Donna Berger — Minnesota Department of Public Safety
- Ginny Crowson — Athey Creek Consultants
- Marc Culver
- Gary Davis — Civil, Environmental, and Geo- Engineering, University of Minnesota
- Max Donath — Roadway Safety Institute, University of Minnesota
- Brad Estochen — MnDOT
- Kathleen Harder — College of Design, University of Minnesota
- John Hourdos — Minnesota Traffic Observatory, University of Minnesota
- Cory Johnson — MnDOT
- Eil Kwon — Civil Engineering, University of Minnesota Duluth
- Taek Kwon — Electrical & Computer Engineering, University of Minnesota Duluth
- James McCarthy — Federal Highway Administration
- Padraic McGuire — 3M
- Panos Michalopoulos — Civil, Environmental, and Geo- Engineering, University of Minnesota
- Vasillios Morellas — Computer Science and Engineering, University of Minnesota
- Nichole Morris — University of Minnesota
- Nikolaos Papanikolopoulos — Computer Science and Engineering, University of Minnesota
- Howard Preston — CH2M Hill
- Rajesh Rajamani — Mechanical Engineering, University of Minnesota
- Alan Rindels — MnDOT
- Shashi Shekhar — Computer Science and Engineering, University of Minnesota
- Ray Starr — MnDOT
- Linda Taylor — MnDOT
- Shuo Wang — MnDOT
- Richard West — Ottertail County