Transportation Planning & the Environment Research Council
This council examines topics such as alternative fuels, air quality, greenhouse gas emissions, land use, urban design and structure, accessibility, community and human issues, alternative modes of transportation, roadside vegetation, and stormwater runoff treatment.
Non-University representatives join faculty and research staff from the Departments of Landscape Architecture, Bioproducts and Biosystems Engineering, Forest Resources, Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, and Soil, Water, and Climate; Humphrey School of Public Affairs; College of Design; and other disciplines.
Activities of the Council include:
- Provide advice during research project activities.
- Identify and advance emerging research needs and opportunities.
- Participate in seminars and other mechanisms to disseminate research results.
- Assist in planning the annual CTS Research Conference.
The Council meets a minimum of three times per year; the Fall and Winter meetings are generally held in conjunction with research seminars.
Council members are appointed by the CTS director on behalf of the CTS Executive Committee, following nomination by the council chair. Approximately one-third of council members are University faculty or staff. Non-University members include a balance of business, government, and other interests.
A membership rotation occurs every three years. Though members may serve more than one consecutive three-year term, an effort is made to rotate approximately one-third of council membership during a rotation year. In addition to members, “friends” of councils also participate in council activities. New members will often be drawn from friends who are active within councils.
How do I become involved?
If you are interested in becoming a friend of one or more of the councils, please contact Joe Barbeau, program coordinator, at 612-626-1077 or email@example.com or return the Council interest form (PDF).
- Chair: Chris Hiniker — SEH, Inc.
- Lisa Austin — MnDOT
- Mary Kay Bailey — Corridors of Opportunity
- Lynne Bly — MnDOT
- Scott Bradley — MnDOT
- Jack Broz — HR Green
- Jason Cao — Humphrey School of Public Affairs, University of Minnesota
- Lynn Clarkowski — MnDOT
- Elizabeth Colburn
- Frank Douma — Humphrey School of Public Affairs, University of Minnesota
- Yingling Fan — Humphrey School of Public Affairs, University of Minnesota
- John Gulliver — Civil Engineering, University of Minnesota
- Bruce Holdhusen — MnDOT
- David Kittelson — Mechanical Engineering, University of Minnesota
- Connie Kozlak — Metropolitan Council
- John Levin — Metro Transit
- Greg Lindsey — Humphrey School of Public Affairs, University of Minnesota
- Julian Marshall — Civil Engineering, University of Minnesota
- Susan Moe — Federal Highway Administration
- Mark Nelson — MnDOT
- Sam O'Connell — Dakota County
- Jeffrey Peltola — ASCE/AAAS
- Gavin Poindexter — URS Corporation
- Ignacio San Martin — Architecture, University of Minnesota
- Carissa Schively Slotterback — Humphrey School of Public Affairs, University of Minnesota
- Ingrid Schneider — Forest Resources, University of Minnesota
- Noel Shughart — MnDOT
- Fay Simer — MnDOT
- Doug Snyder — Mississippi Watershed Management Organization
- Dave Van Hattum — Transit for Livable Communities
- Mary Vogel — Center for Changing Landscapes, University of Minnesota
- Bruce Wilson — Biosystems and Bioproducts Engineering, University of Minnesota
- Elizabeth Wilson — Humphrey School of Public Affairs, University of Minnesota